Monday, July 31, 2006

...time to make a stand.

The BBC has recently caused a great deal of hurt to the gay community by supporting the use of the word 'gay' to mean 'lame' or 'rubbish'. The BBC considers that because the word is used 'on the street' in this way, then its use is justified as they are merely reflecting the language used by their viewers and listeners. I consider this an outrage.

I would expect to hear uncomfortable language in a drama or documentary that was attempting to accurately portray life in Britain. As an adult I want the BBC to tell me the truth and not 'sugar-coat' life or culture that I am not familiar with. However, the original complaint was made to the BBC over the use of the word in a wholly inappropriate context and I am dismayed that the BBC considers it appropriate.

www.rainbownetwork.co.uk is currently publicising a petition to pressurise the BBC to change its guidelines on the use of this word. I would urge anyone who agrees that the guidelines should be tightened to sign this petition.

To access the petition directly go here...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This can't have effect in reality, that's what I think.
superb 9 | do not forget here | superb 4 nice 6 | check check | good 2 nice 1 | look 1