Wednesday, February 07, 2007

...life update - with a positive spin!

Well, Christmas was very pleasant as always. Mum cooked a lovely dinner and i had lots of lovely presents. It's the build-up that's not quite as fabulous - see earlier blog update...

A few weeks of January austerity have been followed by a few weeks of fun and frolics! Late January saw me jet off on my break from the winter blues to Ibiza, via Valencia. Can you believe the return flight to Valencia from Coventry only cost £35! (cost me £40 to park at the airport for the week mind :-) ) There are no direct flights to Ibiza in the winter, so one has to go via some other, fabulous winter destination!

I booked one night in Valencia to re-acquaint myself with the place and stayed in a lovely four star hotel. Valencia loves everything modern and its hotels seem to reflect that. There are no shortage of modern boutique hotels to be had! Try booking through www.venere.com my favourite travel web site - everything is ieuros's and you don't pay until you check-out! The city itself is a vibrant mix of old and new. From the narrow streets of the old town to the ultra-modern edifices that make up the City of Arts and Sciences! English is not widely spoken though so get out that phrase book! It was great for me though, as I am studying Spanish and was therefore forced to use it! - Blimey, i'm beginning to sound like some naff travel writer!!

One problem I always seem to have in Valencia though is tracking down its gay scene! Thankfully Gaydar.co.uk came to the rescue and after a long luxurious bubble bath, I ordered in. Yum, yum... ;-) Most of my 24hrs in the city though, involved walking the streets, absorbing the atmosphere in the pleasant January sunshine, stopping for a coffee and a toasted sandwich in a little cafe before hitting the streets again to take in a few more sights. Lovely! By the end of my first 24hrs out of the UK I felt thoroughly relaxed!

Next came my evening flight to Ibiza (thanks to www.iberia.com ) and after a power-cut in the terminal building which knocked out all the check-in desks and a slight delay, i was on my way! Stepping off the plane at Ibiza airport I felt like I had come home. It's a strange sensation. Valencia was familiar to me as I have been before, but for some reason Ibiza puts its arms around me and says 'welcome home'...

Anyway, the next four days were filled with sunshine, wind, rain, cloud, alcohol, ham, cheese, sex, anxiety, noise, silence, desire, fun, tension, surprise, deceit and some sleep - aided by wax ear plugs from Boots, £1.99. Just a normal few days in Ibiza really... The journey back home was fairly painless (again via Valencia), but yet again I found myself in a limbo world, unsure about whether to make Ibiza my home and at the same time having little desire to return to the UK.

Another 24hrs later I was back at work and back into my old routine - looking for cheap flights to Ibiza... ;-)

But it doesn't end there...soon it was the weekend again and I was off on my travels again! This time the destination was a little closer to home - Rugby to be precise - and a very nice room at the local Holiday Inn. There I met up with some friends for a Birthday/Housewarming party which was jolly good fun! Food, Karaoke (I murdered Dolly Parton / Dead or Alive & Relight My Fire...) too much booze - again (seems to be a worrying trend for 07) and shock at the amount of port spilt on the hall carpet by the next door neighbour, all rounded off with a lovey sunday lunch of Gammon, Egg and Chips!

Trying to maintain the party vibe (and as a form of distraction - see earlier update) i was in the pub last night for another Birthday and this weekend I've got yet another! - Meal and a club I think, Mailbox/Nightingale(Sophie Ellis-Bextor!) The following friday is XXL - Is there no end to my life of distraction!

Simon & the City are certainly living life to the full right now! - Is that positive enough for you?!

2 comments:

Chig said...

Yes, that'll do nicely, thank you. Good to hear you're enjoying life. I beat you to the Bextor - I was standing next to her and hubby and the rest of The Feeling at Mika's London gig on Monday. Just as well, as I can't see her this weekend in Brum - in London again!

PS. Next time you go to the airport alone, let me take you. No need to pay that car park fee.

PPS. Failing that, next time you go to Ibiza, can I come with you? I really need to go there again and recharge my batteries...

Anonymous said...

You and Sophie will be inviting each other around for dinner before we know it! - Thanks for the offer of a lift to the airport! Problem is the flights are during the working day or at anti-social hours so you may not be available! I'll keep it in mind though! ;-) Also I'll let you know next time I go!