Wednesday, February 07, 2007

...i know its february, but happy new year anyway!

I've just read my last update and god! wasn't it depressing! It reminded me of how I used to keep a diary. For quite a few years i'd get a new one for Christmas and start recording my thoughts. Unfortunately, just like all those people going on diets and joining gyms, i'd usually given up by March... One day I sat down and got out all my old diaries and started to read them. It was not much fun. Year after year of repetitive entries about having a bad day, feeling down, hating my job, etc, etc. What was most evident was that my state of mind had never changed. I'd got new jobs, had holidays, loved and lost, yet still the underlying theme of my entries was completely negative. I did not like this person detailed in front of me and swore I would never keep a diary again. They say that writing a diary is good if you're feeling depressed. Rubbish I say. It just sits there as a constant reminder of unhappy days, weeks and months, detailing how you feel life is not working out as you'd hoped and how your dreams seem as distant as ever. Sometimes indulging your negativity is not a good idea. Sometimes you should close your mind to it and stick on a Victoria Wood DVD, or get down the pub with your mates for some serious gossiping about this weeks celebrities. Distraction is better than indulgence! I'm pleased to say I have stuck to my word and have never kept a diary since! - Unfortunately, my last blog update read just like one of those diary entries of old... I need to start putting a positive spin on things to avoid history repeating itself....cue Shirley... :-)

2 comments:

Chig said...

If I may argue the opposite...I find that keeping a diary is actually really good therapy. It has probably saved me thousands in psychiatrist fees over the years. But each to their own...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Victoria thinks they're good too...I guess I'm a guy that can't escape denial! I don't want to know about 'my' reality, i'd rather go the pub and pretend it doesn't exist!!